View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #256
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Is It Missing In Everybody's Aikido?

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote: View Post
I am sure that both you and Eric might spend weeks deciding on models with which one could be 100% sure you were first talking about the same thing, ... .
Actually I started with an (apparently unwarranted) assumption, that the language of mechanics was more widely understood than it is, and that those who claimed more profound knowledge than what my mechanical intuition and analytical observation of practice has led me to, might be more amenable to it.

At this point I have concluded that the overwhelming majority of learning styles of people that keep doing and deepening in martial art are not of the same type as me. So there is a disconnect. So my task is to overcome that -- to lead a discussion from prosaic analogy or comparison -- from the general to the specific, while avoiding the typical pitfalls of turf, ego and other reflexive resistance to a different way of describing something.

-- All of which is vastly more difficult than simply saying that modulating cycles of vibration is the heart of the matter -- There is no obvious way of generalizing that broad and correct observation for application without drawing the branches of mechanics and the biology together. Who said that was easy? What I have to say about what I know can't be said or written in any other way. And apparently neither can the topic of the biomechanics of aiki or "it" be written of with any greater ease -- because, ya know, if it really could be -- by now -- it probably would have been.

And it hasn't... yet.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.