View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 06:54 AM   #13
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Aikido survivors (Voices of Experience)

I guess I just always try my best. If that happens to be just going through the motions but it's the best I got, then that's what I do. If I feel I'm unsafe I get off the mat. There is a value of having a practice and always doing your best. I think that certain things trump aikido. There are an infinite number of reasons why not to come to class. They cannot be argued with. Yet, some people make it to class every class (or almost every class) and those are the people I'm there to do aikido with.

I have no problem if someone needs to take time off then there is no need to judge them as far as I am concerned. However, I think Clark is taking the bold move of helping (those who might waiver). They get some external (his) help in making the decision to get to class. To that end I think he is doing them a favor. That kind of compassion isn't in me just yet. If you don't want it as much as I do, then that's your business. I won't typically promote someone like that, but they are welcome to come and be a part of our class for as long as I have any say about it. I have had students for a long time who would have loved to be "clients" as opposed to "students" and I just simply refused to treat them as anything other than a student. They are always welcome, but I always expect them to do their best (which includes getting to class). It's just that I do accept that their best might not be the minimum requirement for Clark's dojo and I'm currently okay with that.

Rob

Last edited by rob_liberti : 09-01-2005 at 07:00 AM.