View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #65
DH
United_States
Re: Internal Strength in sparring

From the BJJ thread

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
Are you saying that intent and "when one thing moves, everything moves" imply each other, or that they are two separate but mutually supportive skills? I guess I am confused what you mean by "change someones quality of movement in a way that cannot be seen", but shouldn't the whole body movement part be noticeable to the observer? Do you feel what Rickson Gracie is doing there is useful for building one, the other, both, neither, or it depends?
They are not supposed to be two different things, but even for those going down this road they often are. You can grab me somewhere and I can "shut off" and when I move I will feel normal-meaning you will feel nothing until I make large external movements. Then, I can "turn on" and you will instantly feel a quality of kuzushi even before I start to move.
Now people respond differently to that, and they run the gamut of:
Trained ukes jumping and throwing themselves
To trained ukes going with the throw,
To push hands and they try to change your change and catch the edge,
To grapplers who will feel it and try to change positions and keep moving,
To MMAers keep trying to figure out why they are late and why they feel open.
It's an advantage; sometimes just an edge, other times overwhelming so.
I stopped gauging the responses in different venues and just pay attention to me and what I am doing and how I am organized, some things require thought, others things are auto pilot.
Whether or not Rickson is focusing on it...I will only say I know some internal guys who are in BJJ and have trained with many of the best. They attended some of Rickson seminars and were surprised to hear some of his training ideas and his "feel." Beyond that I have no comment until I feel him. It isn't about fighting skill it's some different that is measurable and known.
Dan