Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Advice for Stepping Lightly

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Hi Graham. I'm not one of those people.

Actually this is where I get in trouble. As someone mentioned above, I really need to tailor my ukemi to my training partner, but at the same time, even after a year at this dojo, this is a fairly unfamiliar style to me. I am trying to learn techniques from my training partner, who in some cases is of a higher rank than I am, and in others is simply more familiar with this sensei's techniques. As part of learning from them, I try to feel the technique through to the end. I'm not trying to resist the technique, simply to feel it in its entirety. Anyway, I get carried away with trying to feel it and forget to fall. I suppose part of being aware is to think about my partner and when I should be falling rather than simply my own learning.

I'm working on it. Obviously not quite there yet.
Hi Robin.
I can see by what you say you are not one of those people.

I wonder what you mean by feeling and then forgetting to fall. By harmonizing I don't mean just feel and fall. I mean feel and go with thus you would only go down or 'fall' if that's where you are being led to. If you don't feel like you are being led to the floor for example then inform the partner. It shows a lack of something and thus you can help the partner find out what's missing.

There is no 'should fall' so it would be quite right to not go. Once again it's not a matter of making the partner wrong but it is a matter of integrity. So I would say don't give up your own integrity and thus learn how to point things out with humility so to speak.

I don't think you're carried away with trying to feel it.

I do believe you could get a insight by having an open private conversation with your teacher though, telling him your thoughts.

Regards. G.