View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #23
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Freeform Bokken Drills to Develop Aiki Flow

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
I use "double weighted" in the sense that the term is used in the Tai Chi classics.
Which is up for debate by a lot of people and interpreted in different ways.
Some people consider it to be two feet on the ground, or force on force, or specifically "li" on "li" (as opposed to "jin" vs "li"), or the point where you are unable to adjust your body anymore.
Personally I don't really care about which one is right or wrong etc.
But I think it would help to establish a baseline of where you're coming from if you elaborated on your specific interpretation of "double weighting," with regards to body mechanics.

Quote:
I do not think words can portray as well as video, where I move from. I have a couple of traditional techniques performed with a smaller circle than normal on Youtube at "wuweimonks". You can probably analyze the movement I am talking about there for what it is worth..
Erm ok... I watched. First off, props for putting video up there.

Before I do an "analysis" of what you do...(I got a good idea...but I'd rather not voice it just yet ^^; ) I think there's a lot that can be established verbally, since a lot of the basics with regards to connection/jin etc are common throughout jma and cma. Since you have a pretty extensive background in cma maybe we can establish a common ground.

Let's start with posture: Do you do any work on emphasizing six-opposing forces in the body in order to maintain equilibrium in the body?

Quote:
I have seen those figures but know nothing about them. The motions remind me of Ta Mo's 18 muscle change exercises but the faces look like warriors. What is the story you have on them?
Well, honestly I think looking at these or the chinese versions of them are pretty self-explanatory.

Without going into the buddhist connotations, (which are linked to the body skills displayed in the statues) I'm going to kick it off with some quick physical descriptions:

To sum up, one is "A", one is "Un" ("ha" and "heng" in chines) -> these refer to the specific sounds.

One is the body opening, one is the body closing.
Both statues are actually a single entity, but showing different states.
Coiling throughout the body pretty obvious, and muscular development in certain areas are dead giveaways about the way that particular person trained.

That's for starters...if there's anything you'd like to add I'm all ears