View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #1494
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
Hi Mike, you have felt me, so you know the very little of this skillset that I posses. Whatever I do have, might seem impressive to someone who has yet to feel this stuff, but far less so to anyone familiar with it. This isn't an attempt to be humble on my part, but the truth, there are people with significantly more skill out there than me.
Hi Hunter:

Well, seriously, I was just bringing up the valid point about this complex part of the phenomenon that revolves around Ellis Amdur's "Hidden in Plain Sight" thesis. There's one question about "how was it missed", but there's another question of "who should you show?". It relates to the idea of martial virtue and whether, if someone really cares about any specific martial art, they should show someone something in that art which might be used in a way that despoils the art.

As you know there is a broad spectrum of personalities in martial arts. Should everyone be shown everything? Obviously not. So the question would be to start looking at some extreme personalities (on either end) and try to find where one should draw the line at showing something. Pretty obviously Justin didn't come onto the AikiWeb forum to learn anything or to do any good ... so the question is why, even to satisfy curiosity or to make a point ... would someone think it was worth the trouble.

Of course, Justin just happens to be a convenient extreme from which to start the reasoning, but the reasoning needs to be examined across a wide spectrum of people. I think *some* basics should be more freely disseminated, but I certainly don't think all basics should be given to everyone. In other words, I'm looking at this a good discussion about baseline skillsets... nothing more.

Best.

Mike