View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:01 AM   #7
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Re: Poll: How important a goal do you feel is the "aikido" notion of defending yourself while minimizing or negating damage done to your attacker?

Quote:
I don't believe in minimizing the damage, if a fight has already begun
I have to disagree strongly with this statement (but accept I may be misunderstanding you). Even when a fight has begun, there will normally be stages where you can either disconnect or choose not to do as much damage as you can. For example, you've managed to get your opponent down on the floor, the question now is to put the boot in or not, I'd hopefully choose the latter even acknowledging it may not be the best tactical thing to do. I also would probably choose to cause pain over damage if the opportunity presented itself

I voted very important. I admit it's probably an impossible goal given my own skills and innate cowardice (hurt them before I get hurt school of thought). However, as goals go I don't think it's a bad one to pursue, as long as you keep a realistic perspective on your own abilities in that regard. It could also help in those tricky post-battle legal questions (a big problem in the UK where reasonable force can cause huge problems for victims)