Old 05-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #19
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Re: Dan Essays

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
They have the ability to do the techniques and they have the ability
to explain. Why should only one of them be tested?
I agree with Clark. It's very important that instructors can express themselves correctly. And the ones that are not looking to be instructors... well it would be like any graduate who has decided not to work in the thing s/he has graduated from.
Also, Anne, you said that you had already done it at shcool and college, but there are people who have not studied and therefore need to prove that they will be able to understand and explain everything. It is not very responsible to put an illiterate person as an instructor, in anything not only Aikido.
Like I said before, the better test as to whether an instructor can explain clearly is how well their students perfom on their tests. If the tests are subpar then the sensei needs to re-evaluate how they are teaching. Also a dan rank, where I train, does not equal a teaching license so I do not see how the rational of evaluating how well a person writes supports that position.

Also I'm not talking about illiterate (the inability to read and write) people here, I find that as a bit of an exageration of my point.

Although, I can see having an essay to see how well they have incorporated aikido into their own life or how well they understand aikido, but not whether they are good grammaticians or good expository writers.

Anne Marie Giri