View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: It Had to Be Felt #24: Chiba Kazuo: "There We Were, Two Handsome Young Men"

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
I would disagree with all three of you and agree with Jun/Ellis.

If you reread Mr. Smith's post, this is what you get:
At 12, I was called out to take ukemi.
Chiba inspired me than and now.

That's about it.

If you go back and reread every single other IHTBF column, you get a taste of what it would have been like to have been there. It creates an atmosphere that helps you put yourself in their place. It does that by describing what the feeling was like, the technique was like, the strength, the presence, the emotions, the pain, etc. Mr. Smith's post lacked all of that.

As Ellis stated: "Follow-up posts should be substantive, striving to equal the depth of the original essay. Simply agreeing with the writer, or a brief comment that, yes, the teacher in question was really powerful or had a wonderful shihonage or the like, are not congruent with the purpose of this archive."

Unfortunately, Mr. Smith's post was not substantive. While the post may have been valid, it gave the readers nothing at all of Chiba. I look forward to a more substantive post by Mr. Smith about Chiba.

I would also say that Mr. Black's post in the Kanai column should be moved. It lacks substantive content.

Mark
Dear Mark,
It was 1.Exhausting 2.Painful at times.3.Mentally exhausting.4,Dangerous.5.Stimulating like a drug.6.An experience unlike anything I have ever known
Chiba Sensei? A force of nature .Powerful. fast , intense .He overwhelmed youand can get angry at times. At the same time he is humourous, kind, loyal, charismatic,very intelligent and extremely well read., artistic.
How was it to be his Uke/or attend his classes?Stimulating,a bit like facing a tiger, hard on the body, but absolutely wonderful.Ah, how I wish I could turn the clock back earlier times.
Cheers, Joe.