View Single Post
Old 09-13-2002, 06:23 AM   #10
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Absolutely essential Aikido related books

Quote:
Wynand van Dyk (drDalek) wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, I am interested in getting some reading material on Aikido.

I know that there is quite a large amount of book reviews right on this very site, but any specific recommendations? I dont fancy buying all the 5 and 4 star books on the list and I am not quite ready yet for an entire volume of O'Sensei's deep philosophical ponderings without some technique thrown in as well.

What would you recommend as good books that demonstrate clearly the techniques, have helped you understand the philosophy or in other ways helped your Aikido?

(I have placed an order for "Total Aikido" so that I can get a taste of Yoshinkan Aikido. But I want more recommendations.)

Thanks
With respect, I would like to turn the question back to you. You are asking "just as a matter of interest", but want books that "demonstrate clearly the techniques" AND "help understand the philosophy". This is a very tall order. All the previous posters have made excellent choices, but I think if you read all of these books, you would be no further forward in your training. I notice that you have asked for specific recommendations, but the replies suggest that you should buy virtually everything on offer.

Once I asked my teacher the same question and he answered: "Why do you need to read books about aikido? You have me as a living model, and I studied with O Sensei. Isn't this enough?" So I suggest you ask Mr Cottier, who also studied with O sensei, when he next visits South Africa (which I believe will be very soon).

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury