View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #174
Dazaifoo
Dojo: Chikushino Rental Dojo
Japan
Re: Demonstrating aiki, demontrating aikido.Same thing ?

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
Don't we all already now how to do that? Maybe there is another way....
And what will that prove?..that someone is stronger than another...that one way is better than another?

Aikido is finding commonality... not fighting. But here that circle goes again...
"Don't we all already now how to do that?" Do what, Aikiage? Don't look at me, I'm just a mug.

"Maybe there is another way...." Hey, I'm all ears so long as you can do it, otherwise it's like listening to one of my IFLS buddies describing figure skating as "just good physics". OK lunchbox,let's see you slap on some skates and pirouette like Nancy Kerrigan. What's that, you can't? Well then keep talking, I'm sure you'll have a breakthrough.

"And what will that prove?" That there's a right way and a wrong way to go about this.

"that someone is stronger than another..." If strength had anything to do with aiki then I know a ton of Guidos that I'd call O'Sensei.

"that one way is better than another?" Well yes, that is the point. Otherwise the alternative is that we take a big tent approach where we all get gold stars and little certificates of awesomeness validating my personhood or some similarly lame declaration. Having been thoroughly outclassed by these IP teachers is a truly humbling experience. I know which way I'd rather turn.

"Aikido is finding commonality... not fighting." Yeah, it can be. Sooooooo.......

"But here that circle goes again... "And look at that, my bus is here! I must be toddling along, spot of tiffin and all that - give my regards to the king, and the queen, and the ace of diamonds.