View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Tony Sova
United_States
Can a dualist find success in Aikido?

Greetings and Sh'lama (peace),

It is a pleasure and honor to be here. Here is a quote that I would like to explore:

"The earth was born from the universe and those who flourish in that life-giving environment can directly become one with nature. They never oppose natural law," - (What is Aikido?;by Second Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba and Third Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba)

It appears that Aikido philosophy is rooted in a form of non-dualism. I am a dualist and as such I see two opposing forces of nature operating within the world, those of Light and of Darkness and never twain shall the two meet. Organic Nature is in and of itself harsh, cruel, chaotic, competitive, self-serving and merciless. This is Darkness. Most Martial Arts reflect these inferior qualities and the organic consciousness of the individuals that created them. In retrospect where Organic Nature is harsh the spirit is gentle; where it is cruel the spirit is caring; where it is chaotic the spirit is harmonious; where it is competitive the spirit is co-operative; where it is self-serving the spirit is self-sacrificing; where it is merciless the spirit is compassionate. The world is largely an admixture of these two opposing forces and as a dualist I am ever seeking to separate the two so as to align myself with the Light - the primordial origin of my spirit. In this respect I am in opposition to natural law (Darkness) in favor of spiritual law (Light). The Spirit is Light and according to my understanding Aikido appears to be characteristically aligned with the principles of Light. This brings a question to mind: can I as a dualist find success in Aikido when I aspire to separate myself from rather than becoming one with a world that is malign in nature?

In the Name of the Great Life,

- Tony

"When you call out the name of God, it echoes inside of you"