View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan
Re:

Quote:
David Valadez wrote: View Post
Aikido practitioners should make up their mind on what they want Aikido to be and do. In doing that, from a martial perspective, I think Aikido should not feel pressed to address the dueling discourse that currently dominates our self-defense commercial market. Philosophically, I think Aikidoka should stick to their arena of dealing with assaultive behavior and mentalities because there is a deeper and more useful truth in that than in trying to figure out how to apply Aikido to dueling environments. Even commercially, I think Aikidoka should again stick to this position. There is no way, in my opinion, that Aikido can address the combative assumptions of the dueling culture without either doing so poorly or without degenerating the art into something it is not, or something in the end that is incapable of addressing assaultive behavior and/or combat environments. Today, popular Aikido is primarily populated by two groups: one group that further insulates itself from the larger martial purpose, and one group that feels pressed to identify Aikido with and in terms of the MMA discourse. The first group is slowing losing its numbers, like any group that stays away from others, and the second group is losing their art. I would propose a third option be found and practiced, one that acknowledges that the problem is not that the art is traditional but that we are not traditional enough in our understanding of the art.
Good points I reckon. There is a degree of irony in the fact that many people start Aikido with aims towards avoiding conflict, from the fact that there are no competitions as much as the ideal of being able to resolve conflicts peacefully. Yet what Aikido really requires is resolving the conflicts within ourselves, which many people don't want to face, especially in the dojo.