View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #113
Thomas Campbell
Re: Controlling Violence Without Harm [was: Using Daito Ryu's Aiki Without Harm]

Quote:
Chhi'mèd Künzang wrote: View Post
[snip]there is also a specific skillset related to allowing the interaction to unfold itself, and that this approach theoretically leads to the best results in *either* dissipating (word change) violence without harm, or catalyzing it to harm itself out of existence. I'm not trying to imply something purely ethereal, either. That is why I have included the physical examples, even though they are oblique.

Regards,
Chhi'mèd
I don't think the physical examples are oblique. Awareness is key to survival in any situation involving physical conflict. Knowing one's physical capacities is essential to being able to make intelligent choices gracefully under pressure of imminent attack. The play here on Hemingway's definition of courage is deliberate--fear (of physical threat) can often paralyze the mind or cause a violent reflexive response substantially disproportionate to the threat presented. A well-trained body/mind--because the type of internal training being discussed surely trains the practitioner's mind as well--will be freer to act through a wider range of responses than without such training.

There are of course non-combative alternatives to defuse a threatening situation which should be among the first responses--with appropriate timing, well-chosen words, body posture, distancing, breathing to maintain relaxed body language and tone of voice--all can enter into the situation to help reduce tension between the participants. Perhaps this would be analogous to calming a horse.

Allowing the interaction to unfold itself--every interaction has its own mini-Dao. But the Dao of an interaction where the person being pressed by another has the internal body/mind skills Dan and Rob have been alluding to will have a different Dao than one where the person being pressed lacks those skills and what's more lacks the experience of applying such skills in physical conflict (with practice partners in "live" training).

I'll step back now and let the discussion/interaction between Chhi'med, Rob and Dan continue to unfold itself. Thanks for your earlier comments, Chhi'med.