View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
scarey
Dojo: Shinkikan
United_States
Re: Aikido and social interaction.

Quote:
Jason Rudolph wrote: View Post

As far as the physical application of Aikido, I believe that first and foremost that your safety, that of your family, friends, and the innocent are deserving of the most protection. After that.................. comes the well-being of the attacker/s. I believe that using only the amount of force necessary to end the confrontation/attack is appropriate, ethical and an ideal to strive for. However, being pragmatic, that can mean a few different things. Some believe as I infer from you post, that as Aikidoka we are under an "implied" obligation to do so, but there are different means to arrive at this desired place. Some, quoting Osensei in his later years (Like Yoda--when his focus had changed from being martially dominant to a more philosophical/spiritual focus) that one should treat an attacker like an "out of control child".
I can see the motivation for trying to protect family, friends, or generally put, "all the good guys". I would like to offer the argument that the bad guy needs more protection. Here are a few reasons this might be true:
  1. There are more good guys than bad guys. Numerically, it's an easier job to protect them.
  2. The bad guy is the root cause of chaos. All energy should probably be focused on putting a cap on that chaos.
  3. The bad guy, flawed in their behavior, simply "needs" more help.

Just offering these ideas for debate. It's good to have forums like this where we can explore different approaches. What are your thoughts?