View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: human structure model discussion

Erick,

Grrrrr. You're smarter, so I rise to train at your level. ggrrrrr some more.

I stand corrected, and must revise my statement: "Pushing a chain is impractical."

However, before you argue may I suggest a synthesis? I'll keep your chain/kokyu concept, if you allow tensegrity to describe what you are calling 'rotation'. You agree the spine works in tensegrity, but not the appendages - you are cutting the arms and legs off your own arguement! (couldn't resist that).

My joints do not rotate like the monster in star wars iii, they translate somewhat, but do not go all the way around. If I took my icosahedron (six sticks) and broke one in the middle to make a ball and socket joint, I'd have to have other supports around it - so it still was integral to the structure as a whole. The resulting supports might look very much like strings supporting a tentpole indeed, or to the trained eye (not mine) the soft tissues around the shoulder.

But, if we unite tensegrity with your, from my admittedly limited perspective, understanding of the multiplicative forces acting in a chain to describe 'kokyu', we may have something worth thinking about.

dave