View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #33
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: atemi is 90% of Aikido

My old sensei, Bob Galeone, is a tough dude. (so I am!).

He would state over and over that aikido in practice is an art of cooperation, if someone wants to stop you from doing a technique in the training environment than they can. However, he would also demonstrate that it opens you up in other areas, but that is not the nature or within the confines of the "kata" that the instructor is trying to teach. So what is the point?

Aikido, as practices, is a controlled training methodology designed to convey the lessons and principles of the art. It is not about trading blows or seeing who is tougher.

Atemi against a well balanced opponent unless striking a vital area pretty much will not work, most anyone of substance can withstand the blow. However, when you "open the up" or unbalance them, it is an entirely different matter.

Yup, I am one of those guys that will take several blows/kicks (controlling where you place them mind you!) to allow for my to close the distance and get a hand/grip on you so I can take you down. I do this all the time when doing NHB stuff.

However, in aikido, it is not within the context of the practice to do so since aikido is concerned with principles and theory. While the techniques employed in aikido are sound, don't confuse that with being "real"

So, yes, Chris, I agree with you, it is philosophical in nature to state that aikido is 90% atemi, since by it's nature, aikido is a DO/WAY/philosophical art.