Thread: influence?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 10:28 AM   #11
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Hi Paula,

I think Ueshiba's spiritual beliefs has had only a small impact on aikido. I know very little about Omotokyo, I'm not a christian and I know little about Shinto. I think however aikido introduced me to taosim and buddhism (esp. zen). Just as aikido directed towards self-defence can help you think about correct body movement, I also think it makes people consider the different ethical problems in self-defence.

Personally I don't do self-defence because I get attacked frequently, I do it because I feel I should always try and help someone unfairly being attacked, and also stand up for equal rights. This can result in a necessity for self-defence which causes minimum harm.

I don't ever teach philosophical or ethical aspects of aikido in the dojo as I don't feel that I should impose my ideology on others. However I have come to reconsider this recently after hearing that one of my students had taken to carrying a knife around. A real martial art has to deal with death and ethics if appropriate responses and lack of fear is to be produced. However maybe social occasions, when people feel more open to give critical feedback, are more suited to this.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---