Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Judo first?

Quote:
Cameron Tarr wrote: View Post
So you're saying I should start aikido right away? lol

Seriously, would most agree having a judo background is helpful or unnecessary? Nearly 50 views and no useful replies...I would really like to hear from someone who has experience doing both Judo and Aikido.
Judo will give you a no-nonsense clarity about balance, keeping balance and losing balance. There's no pretending about that in judo (except in the rare kata). Judo will give you a detailed awareness of the whole body and techniques for every part of the body from feet to head. It will give you the ability to analyze your own movement and also to see how a teacher is doing his own techniques.

With that kind of foundation, "relearning" habits shouldn't be too torturous. Judo is all about learning adaptability and fluidity of movement. After all, Kano said that aikido was his "ideal" of the martial way. But aikido was a hell of a lot tougher back then (1930).

So I say go ahead and start learning judo. Get a shodan, and then you'll at least know whether you intend to throw and you'll also know whether you're falling down because you have to or because you're "supposed" to.

Ganbatte!

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com