View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #61
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Even at Boot Camp...no one can reach inside you and make you feel. Your feelings

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
Feel free to comment as well. I meant the distinction between accuracy and precision as applied to words which I'm not sure I conveyed properly in that post. Anyway, I hope this message finds you well.

Anthony
Hi. I'm well thanks. Hadn't read that link but have now.

My view is that a word has a precise definition and conveys thus a particular concept. Many say how Japanese or whatever other language may have 'numerous' meanings for words but again I would say what's new? None more so than English, many definitions of a particular word and like you say each with a specific meaning.

I wouldn't apply the term accuracy to a word so much but more to the statement which contains the word.

Having said that I think we should allow for the opportunity for another to misunderstand what we have said for it will usually be based on them using a different definition for the word used.

If I told you I am a bit worn out because I have been boxing 20 chickens what concept would you see? Someone no doubt would misunderstand and reply in what to me would then seem to be uncalled for manner. Thus a downward spiraling communication ensues.

There again some may just be being facetious but generally it's the former.

Knowing all this it is then even more important to hold to a rule of staying polite and not being rude. That's step one I would say.

Anyway, it's all interesting stuff. In alignment with this thread....nothing to get annoyed about. Be happy about it, it's all good for it's a chance to learn.

Peace.G.