View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #47
Hardware

Dojo: Ronin (sort of...)
Canada
Re: Defending against Aikido

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
...Hence I've hit something of a crisis in my own training. I mean there's part of me that thinks I'm talking nonsence, but I don't know. I watch tori performing a technique on me and I see holes that I can exploit and when I'm taking ukemi it just feels like I'm faking it all and that if I got bored half way though the technique I could just walk off. Then when I'm tori I wonder which one of us is actually in control, am I throwing uke or is uke throwing themselves with me dancing around the outside. I mean ok, co-operation but what do you learn if the person you're training with co-operates with you to such an extent that the co-operation is an integral part of the technique?
One shouldn't try to imagine any Aikido technique being executed in the pure form as seen in a dojo in a real-world, combat situation. It could possibly happen, (in theory) but one should never strive for that.

At our parent dojo the senior level black belts tend to resist techniques to force us to hone our hara power - the techniques always end up looking different - and this is still with a highly trained Uke who ultimately will take ukemi properly for the technique!

I don't think the idea is that you would ever perform any "textbook" Aikido technique in a real situation, but you should simply use any facet(s) from any and all techniques you know to suit the situation.