View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Protecting yourself after a breakfall.

Well,that presumes you're training in a dojo and art designed for real-world combat efficiency.

Most budo, today, don't fit that description. However, that doesn't negate the value of budo training to being able to defend yourself, it just points toward keeping your perspective intact.

Training in most budo dojo, is geared for the dojo. There is some variation, but generalyl speaking, the attacks, responses and ukemi for budo training are quite effective and relevant within that setting.

However, if you're seeking combat efficiency, you'll probably need to look elsewhere.

Now, that said, to address your question about ukemi: an it's a good question, one that shows you're thinking about both sides of the nage-uke interaction.

Some systems do teach what happens after you take the fall. Even some aikido dojo, delve into this.

Obviously, taking the big roll sets you up to turn and face your thrower, but the fact is, in some cases, you won't be able to, or may opt not to roll out due to situational or environmental factors.

And quite frankly, if your attacker is savvy enough to actually throw you, you may not be given opportunity to roll at all.

So, what happens when you hit the ground? Years ago, a guy I knew in the SCA told me about teaching aspiring sword and shield fighters the art of defensive dying. Apparently, in the scrum of melee, it's not unusual for a downed fighter to get trampled. They teach folks to curl up, cover head, not explose soft bits.

This is one option, and similar one I've taught in personal combatives and self defense courses.

It is passive, and reactive, however. Other systems of combat approach the matter more proactively.

Within the system I teach, breakfalls are taught at beginner level, rolls later. Students learn to hit the ground, re-orient (feet towards thrower) immediately, and then prepare to engage from that position or get up and move. The methodology is codified in our kata and practiced in basics in the dojo.

I won't go into specifics and bore you, but it basically entails redirecting some of the energy of the fall and controlling your contact with the ground.

The other option we teach, at later levels, is to take your thrower with you, if possible, and re-engage on the ground, taking control of initiative, timing and combative distance on the way down.

Going to ground is always a last resort with us, but we do address the possibility and train toward recovery once placed in that scenario.

Chuck