View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Gary David

United_States
Re: Co-ordination of Mind, and Body

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post

It seems to me that a certain group is redefining Aikido to meet what they are teaching. Which is fine but invoking authority about Morihei Ueshiba is a little overkill to me.
You know it seems to me Aikido was redefined back in the late 70's What I saw when I started in 1974 looked a lot like what I felt at the time. Most of the players were hard at it and the practice was rough and tumble. Looking back from there into the 50's & 60's at movies from that time it was rough and tumble. Change came after the separation between Tohei and the. Akikai. You don't see the change to a new age peace art by many because you are in the middle of it and have always been.

Quote:
The testing you are talking about is probably skewed because of the restraints that Aikido puts on such things

The restraints are embedded in a misunderstanding of what the test were for along with the structure and methods to be used. These days, thanks to Dan and others, I can review what was being presented and now start to fill in the frame, add substance to the structure of the test/drills and see how they can help when filled in. Much of what Dan and other are presenting could be brought out of Aikido's drills if looked at in light of what is being presented by Dan.

Quote:
Leading the mind is good but it does not make anybody superman. If someone comes to our dojo or we go to see someone we are not going to try to prove a point or show how strong we are. We are going to either share what we are doing or fully be open to what is being taught. That does not provide an atmosphere for free expression of strength or ability. That is why those claims seem suspect to me.
You know these individuals have come to Dan.......something to consider.

If you think you have it right with nothing to add........then stay with it, but it is a big world. I have been around some, touched, taken falls for and been in the presence of any number of teachers you might consider fine examples of the presentation of Aikido and it is clear to me that Dan could handle them with ease. Does this mean anything...........maybe so.........does if really matter........ What matters is improving and I think many are missing out on adding solid substance to their existing art.

Gary