View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 03:39 AM   #22
StefanHultberg
Dojo: Roskilde
Denmark
Re: Aikido and time

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Don't confuse changes in your subjective perception of time with changes in actual physical reality.

Katherine
Dear Katherine

I have been studying, practicing, discussing, and thinking about this long and hard since your comment, not least through aikido and zen shiatsu/traditional Chinese Medicine. I cannot claim any true knowledge about any of this, but it's enough to make me wonder. My thoughts are:

1. I agree. I have had several experiences with time - and other arenas that are equally mentally challenging - that may or may not be genuine. I honestly do not know and therefore I agree that I cannot equate my experiences with genuine physical reality. That is my opinion concerning my personal experiences.

2. On a more general level I think what I have discussed in earlier posts in this thread could be possible. Note the word "could". This comes from the fact that my experiences and practices have instilled in me a sort of "damn, there lot's of things we don't know out there" - attitude. Thus I wonder, how about O-Sensei. "There is no time in aikido" - what was HIS experience of time and how much did HIS experience correspond to physical reality. The things I say "could" be possible - were they his realities? These things are, at least, possible from a physical viewpoint. This does not mean that I necessarily think levitation should be included in the shodan syllabus, but I think that if - IF - some things were possible, i.e. like physically extending time through "alligning your movements with the universe", then I think surely aikido - AIKI - would be a good candidate to explore it. So on a general level I am not sure whether I agree with you or disagree with you when it moves away from me physically - what could O-Sensei really do? Takeda Sensei? How deep did the Buddha really penetrate into the truth? Could Jesus really heal the sick? Does mind truly - TRULY - shape reality? Certain aspects of physics and aikido indicate that it does. We humans have more senses than most of us know, there are vast domains of creation that are known to be there as complete mysteries, and there are 6 or seven dimensions that are very poorly understood. Would "aligning your movements with the movements of the universe" expand our senses and our minds so much that what seem physically impossible becomes reality?

Many regards

Stefan Hultberg