View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 02:11 PM   #21
johnmb1
Question [B]"Why would you quit aikido"[/B]

"Why would you quit Aikido ?" I think is a very good question. I am not currently taking Aikido and there are probably a lot of people that believe I shouldn't judge but this is an open forum so I will give it a shot.

Putting it in one or two word summaries. I would say:

Affectiveness Is this good enough to stand up against a street fighter with ( boxing) kickboxing skills? In a reasonable amount of time of training?

Time How much time do you need to be a good practicener and do you want to spend that much of your time and life coming to that level?

Self defense Is this really a good means of self defense ? What is the old motto ? When in doubt there is no doubt. How many people are doubting ? How many people really doubt Karate ? Judo ? Jiu Jitsu ? Kung Fu as a good self defense system ?

I remember watching caught on tape a while back. And there was a segment when a man jump kicked another man ( in the chest) that had a knife to this womans throut. I believe he was using karate. And that resolved that situation. My question to myself is : How would and Aikidokan handle the situation?

I think these are some good answers and I would like plenty of feed back for any correctioning. I am still thinking of taking Aikido anyway. There is a dojo though a little bit further away that offers Go Ju Karate and Judo for $30.00 a month each and the Aikido is $50.00 Both do jo's

Last edited by johnmb1 : 03-07-2003 at 02:14 PM.