View Single Post
Old 03-08-2002, 10:33 PM   #14
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by shihonage
#1: No matter how skilled the uke's are during randori, the nage has an advantage.
The goal of randori is to teach nage to see that there's always a way out if you keep your mind open.
The uke's all have one goal - nage, and their movement is predictable.
Nage has several choices in his movement at any point. THAT is his advantage.
Well, you've got to think and act like there's a way out. Three skilled, practiced and capable attackers may very well preclude a way out.

No, their movement is predictable because we train it that way--a blind assault directly on nage. Capable and serious uke's would cut off movement by anticipating nage's movements. They too have choices in where to move and with the blinders turned off I always choose to come in more slowly and pick and choose where and when I attack.

Quote:
#2: Technically shomen uchi and yokomen uchi are there for a reason. They are "safe" punch simulators.
If we all started actually punching one another since the very beginning, there would be a whole lot of crippled people in the dojo and a whole nothing of understanding of the techniques.
How come other arts pull it off without yokomen and shomen strikes? Since those strikes are around at the very end I submit it's cultural or a homage to the sword base of the art. Check out a sandan test (the last formal test most of us will take) and see what's there? I submit it will be shomen and yokomen. Hell check out out a yondon demo (the last formal anything we will do if we even do one) and let me know what you see. I'm pretty sure it won't be kicks, grappling, and probably not even a clean punch to the face although you see those sometimes. You will see plenty of shomen, yokomen's and munetski's though.