Thread: soft breakfalls
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 09:55 AM   #60
akiy

Hi Giancarlo,
Quote:
Giancarlo DiPierro (G DiPierro) wrote:
OK, now I see where the confusion started. You and John are discussing a different fall than Ken Sparrow and the others. You seem to be referring to a soft version of the flat judo-style breakfall.
I read the judo-style breakfall description that you wrote in a subsequent post and have to say that what John and I are discussing, at least, is a bit different. I do know the judo-style breakfall and teach it on occasion, although it's not my "native" breakfall.

However, you do mention the style of ukemi that folks under Kanai sensei does. Having seen the type of ukemi done by Kanai sensei's students, I have to say that what John and I are talking about is very similar -- the "back" arm (eg the one not behing kotegaeshi'ed) leads ahead of the body to touch the ground first. This leading arm and that side of the body "absorbs" the impact of the rest of the body rather than slapping. I think that's about the only "basic" difference that I see in these two falls.
Quote:
I suppose you can look at it from either side. Mae yoko kaiten could be considered a soft version of this breakfall, or the breakfall could be considered a hard version of the roll. Either way, it is essentially the same fall.
Yup -- sounds about right.
Quote:
Personally, I tend to look at it from the first perspective since I find that the hard version is more flexible and the best fall for powerful throws. Still, I think that improving my execution of the soft variation would be an asset, particuarly with people who do not throw very hard.
I usually just revert to the "regular" slapping breakfall when I'm thrown hard by, say, my teacher. But, the soft breakfall is nice when I can do it as it does provide for a different way to receive the fall rather than the "wham bam" way. Also, it stings a lot less when done on a hardwood floor...

Also, personally, I don't really like the yoko kaiten thing. Takes up too much space and puts uke's back towards nage. Could be just my preference, though.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!