View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Posture in Iwama Aikido

Quote:
Jim Clark wrote: View Post
I have observed for quite some time (both in video and in person) that the vast majority of Iwama Aikido practitioners tend to adopt a posture where the torso is slightly bent forward and the butt is pushed out both before and during technique. Not having come up in the Iwama tradition, I'm wondering if this is intentional, and if so what is the purpose?

I just finished listening to Stanley Pranin and Pat Hendricks Senseis podcast where some mention was made as to Morihiro Saito's posture/movement in regard to arthritis at a relatively young age (40's I believe). I have often wondered if it was possible that an entire generation of aikidoka were imitating the posture of someone not capable of a perfectly upright stance. I mean no disrespect to Saito Sensei and his students, as I have a lot of respect for the quality of Iwama Aikido. I'm simply curious to see if someone can provide some information.

Thanks,

Jim
Gaku Homma wrote an interesting article that touches on this. Try and guess which "respected shihan" he's talking about.

Best,

Chris