View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
MM
United_States
Re: Aikido waza impairment?

Quote:
David Henderson wrote: View Post
Hi Mark,

I understand your post, and it's thought provoking. May I ask -- what do you percieve is the "half" of Aikido that is different from the IT of DRAJ? What is the spiritual element, in your own view, and how does it affect the expression of Aiki, as you understand the term, in Aikido?

thanks.

cdh
Before, as someone else has said, "I didn't know that I didn't know". Now I know that ... I don't know. Really. I have views, I have opinions, I have logical correlations, but really I'm of the mind that I don't know the spiritual half of Ueshiba's aikido.

As I said, I would hope that Shaun's training does cover that part. There were a few students of Ueshiba who were also involved with Oomoto kyo. There is Peter's research. Stan Pranin's work. There is Rev. Barrish. There is Saotome. Etc. There are avenues to go if someone wanted to find a way to train in that half.

Personally, I think that I'm not yet ready to do that. If I ever decide to do that. I also think that there are effects from aiki upon a person's mental and spiritual being that should be considered when viewing the spiritual aspect. Not in the manner of kotodama, but more in the outlook of someone who has the confidence in themselves.

And I think that when you add aiki as the foundation to the spirituality that Ueshiba seemed to follow ... I think that aiki is a buzz all on its own, let alone adding that buzz to the spiritual high.