View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
dps

Re: If you could buy just ONE book about Aikido techniques, what would it be?

Quote:
Karol Kowalczyk wrote: View Post

The kinds of things I'm interested in are things I can work on alone, such as stretches, tenkans, (seiza, yes, it still hurts like hell over 30 seconds!) the different names of the techniques, but I think most importantly, ukemi. As an 'oldie' they are the hardest part of it all, because my dojo doesn't have a seperate beginners class, and we do techniques for 6th and 5th kyu which require some 'head over heels' action, and I kind of go into a cold sweat just thinking about them.. . Also, any book that has good picture/explanations of detailed hand movements would be good because I wear glasses, and taking them off before training means I sometimes don't get a good look at the specific positions of hands during demonstrations.

Edit: Oops, I forgot, maybe I should mention that I train in the Aikikai style!
For Aikikai style Aikido I would get either " Aikido and The Dynamic Sphere or "The Structure of Aikido" by Gaku Homma.
" The Structure of Aikido" focuses on ukemi (falling) and basic body movements. Over 1600 photos for more than sixty techniques shown using the ken and open hand.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.