View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center
Re: Taking care of your Hakama with heavy use?

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Depends. When it's made of cotton I recommend ironing. I do it about once a week. If it's dyed with indigo use a towel between hakama and iron.
Also, if it's made of cotton folding it neatly after practice is most important. Over the time the pleats will "go there" where you "lead" them by folding the hakama. Especially take care of the "inner pleats".
I use a heavy indigo dyed cotton hakama. I would never put it into a washing mashine. And have never heard of someone trying that. But it's very easy to use a bathtub. I do this about two times a year.

When you are doing a lot of suwari waza, I think there is no way to take care of knee-region in a particular way. I know some friends who have patches on their hakama ...
i do this pretty much the same. no need to wash it more than that, since we're wearing our gi pants underneath (aren't we?), and those are washed all the time.

just make sure its folded well. then i'll was it in a basin with a little detergent, and just press the soapy water through it. turns a funny green/yellow. then just rinse until the water is clear.

after that, i just clip the pleats at the bottom and hang in the shower for a day.

practice hard