Thread: meditation
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 AM   #8
Bagua
Re: meditation

Hi thanks for the response

My knowledge of aikido is very limited, I did a few classes when I was younger and the teacher then, an Italian, spent time at the beginning of each class doing breathing exercises. The class I have seen recently had none of this so it is just personal choice.

As for the rest of Aikido creating or developing ki i.e. the techniques, at what stage does the real practise begin, by this I mean: all martial arts develop ki or qi just some focus on it and try to develop it.

One of the base meanings in Chinese of "qi" is "air", and a lot of the basic practice involves breathing as many if not all Martials arts do, even the very external style of TKD focuses a lot of coordinating the movements with breath, this on it's own does not develop higher level qi development.

The practice of qi gong or any internal/energy based is not just simply standing breathing or waving your hands in the air there is a lot of intention behind the postures or movements. And that is what people in the Chinese internal styles are training, there is another phrase in Chinese which roughly goes yi,qi,li (there are other words but I have forgotten them) this mean intention drives the qi with drives your strength. This can't happen without proper practise of qi gong/meditation and then movement practice

(Sorry if I am telling you think which you already know)

Even my current teacher says if you can't use or direct your qi you are not doing real Bagua.

Does any of this sound familiar to anybodies aikido study?

Thanks for your replies