View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
Colbs
Re: Do Gi when training

John,

Kids are a different problem all together, that's where a quiet word from Sensei to the parents is required.

I'm an upfront person, if I think someone is too on the nose to train with, I'll tell them - chances are they probably don't know they are. I have a very weak sense of smell so I can only smell strong smells that are close to my nose, so it's not much of an issue for me personally. On the other side, I can't really smell any cologne or deoderant or whatever that I put on myself, and I know I'd appreciate it if someone told me I was wearing too much or whatever cos I have no real way of judging myself.

I've always gone with honesty - having said that, I can understand why you'd go to a senior instructor at the seminar, especially if it's not a particularly bad case, and if it was minor I'd do the same. But for something as bad as what Alvin described then quite frankly that person has no business being on the mat and isn't being very polite to you, so I wouldn't worry so much about hurting their feelings.