View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
John Matsushima

United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
"Rather I was hoping for interesting feedback regarding the preponderance of evidence via personal witness by the hundred plus who have felt these things...."
Sorry, I missed that one. But how do I know if I'm one of the lucky few that you speak of? How do you know? Is this just a thread for people who think the same way to get together and polish each other's apples and talk about how ignorant everyone else is?

Quote:
....and whether or not that "witness" has been accepted by the community of readers, considered as a curiosity, or dismissed alltogether....
Well, I thought my response was, in short, to say that I, as a member of the community of readers that you speak of, have not accepted it, and have dismissed it due to the reasons stated.

Quote:
I was also asking for feedback from those who have begun to research on how it has impacted their view of Aiki in the larger sense, and how it has affected their view of Aikido™.
Wait a minute...what is this "it" that you speak of, having an impact on the view of Aiki. I responded in my last post addressing the concept of Aiki itself, as that is what you asked for in your OP; my view of Aiki now, and what it used to be. I thought that you were basically attempting to discuss how "everyone" doesn't understand what Aiki is. By the way, I have begun research on every concept that I'm aware of in Aikido, as I think any serious student has.

Quote:
"How many of the Aikidoka seminar attendees, or those who have gone beyond to regularly train internal skills- now possibly numbering somewhere in the low hundreds- have reconsidered their view of what aiki is and what they used to think it was in their aikido ™ V Aiki…do?"
If what the "it" refers to internal skills, then could you please tell me what is the Japanese terminology/origins of these skills that you speak of?

And you seem to be speaking of Aiki again here;

Quote:
"I most certainly do not and have not ever considered Aikido™ as expressing aiki in any meaningful way, with much or most of what I have seen being either completely wrong in its approach, or just marginally in the right direction."
and here...

Quote:
"Or is it finally realizing- by the witness of an ever increasing number of ranked Aikido™ teachers- that this is and was in fact Aiki…do all along and just that many people in Aikido™ missed it."
Well, perhaps I am one of the people who are missing it. You say you don't do "how-to's" on the net, but perhaps you could enlighten me with what exactly "it" is, and how it is different from what the majority of misguided souls that you claim are doing. What are we missing??? Please tell me! Onegaishimaaaaas.....

-John Matsushima

My blog on Japanese culture
http://onecorneroftheplanetinjapan.blogspot.jp/