View Single Post
Old 12-20-2001, 10:12 AM   #25
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
"Do not criticize any other martial arts. The mountain does not laugh at the river because it is lowly, nor does the river speak ill of the mountain because it cannot move about. Everyone has his own characteristics and gains his own position in life. Speak ill of others, and it will surely come back to you."

Koichi Tohei
The quote is apt and reflects my view yet you say elsewhere

Only in Aikido, to my knowledge, are practitioners' manners and personality, not only in the dojo but also outside of it, more important than technical ability and physical prowess.

This is a very broad statement and in my view wrong. It was in answer to Peter G.'s post which I agree completely with. It also assumes that Aikido has some sort of moral superiority which in my view is also completely incorrect. The assumption that Aikido practice gives one the right to judge another's "maners" also leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I realize I am guilty of mixing threads yet ... remove someone for being a disruption and a danger but for bad manners?

If I was so judged I would have been kicked out of my dojo long ago - manners are learnt.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido