Thread: Obesity
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #38
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: Obesity

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Genetics plays a big factor in how well this basic formula works, but generally speaking this seems to be the way things work.
Not really. Genetics does play a role in the relative amounts of bone, muscle ,etc (some folks do have bigger bones) and that is why BMI, and % body fat from density measures are estimates usually +/- 10% accuracy. To get real accurate numbers (+/-1%) fancy methods (like DEXA dual energy x-ray absorptiometry) to directly measure the density of the various tissues are needed.

Genetics can also play a role in the efficiency of the metabolism. Big factor? I actually don't know a study that shows the typical variation in metabolic rates for various populations but I doubt it is very much (15% would be a bunch - but I could be wrong). I have seen studies that show 6% variation in oxygen intake (a strong indicator of metabolic rates) due to the season (winter versus summer).

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.