View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Which Aikido Are You Doing?

When I started training with Neil he told me that anyone who was any good at teaching could transmit *most* of what they knew in about 5-6 years to a good student. Note that I said *most* not all. I don't think he was talking about specific techniques here, but rather building a really solid foundation that can serve the student going forward. I think there's also a big difference between *mastery* after 6 years or so and having transferred the basic concepts and tools necessary to embody the art and continue their own development and improvement. I think a lot of *teachers* have a real problem with this idea. I know a few schools in town where as a student reaches this point in their training, the mind-games seem to creep in. I think it's the rare teacher who can both acknowledge this rather finite time line where there is a distinct master-student relationship and still remain relevant and supportive throughout the change in the relationship that naturally occurs. Too often it seems to become antagonistic. Like Dan said, 20 years is ridiculous.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu