View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
ryback
Re: steven seagals aikido style?

Quote:
Christian Brownlow wrote: View Post
Ive watched steven seagals aikido when he was in japan and i must say its quite impressive i know he was or is affiliated with the aikikai but his aikido seems different and unique you dont see that sort of training often did he change what he was taught to his own style?
Thanks
Chris
The techniques are of course the same, yet executed with a realistic attack in mind in a real self defense situation. That's why his main difference is the way he deflects the quick punches or kicks in order to be able to do a technique.

In my opinion most aikidoists suffer exactly the lack of that aspect. It's not that their technique doesn't work it is just that they can't get to the point of applying a technique if the attacker is using fast, real not over-committed attacks.

So, in my eyes, it is obvious that he developed some of those deflections himself, but if you take a closer look it is all there hidden inside...bokken and jo practice adapted for use against punches, kicks, knife attacks e.t.c.
All of that, followed or combined by fast, explosive execution of techniques is what creates his unique style.

The main thing to me is that even though he contributed greatly, technically and in spreading aikido through his movies, he never claimed to have created his own "style" of aikido, never called it "tenshin" or "Seagal" ryu or anything, always maintaining that there are no styles, there is only one aikido.

The differences that we spot on Seagal Sensei and his students are simply his personal approach to the art he does not claim or recognize that he created another "style" of aikido. Very honest and respectable, in my opinion...