View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #23
thomas_dixon
United_States
Re: finding more students

Quote:
Jack Simpson wrote:
As we train in a fitness center, we get a fair number of curious on-lookers and I try to at least put a flyer in their hand when their head pops in. We've also re-done our web site and that has helped alot as now folks can see lots of info about the club (photos and video as well). I do have a question for PeterR: What are "meta tags" and how can I install some?

We do two demos a year and while we have lots of folks watch and give out lots of flyers, we rarely see any of these people on the mat. Although I think demos are important, because people have to know that "aikido" exists to do a web-search for it.

I really think the web is replacing traditional advertisement, so links or advertising (if you can afford it) on local search sites or community web sites are a thought. Good luck and be patient.

Jack
Meta tags are what search engines use to define the contents of a page..for example, AikiWeb's meta tags are:

Code:
<META NAME="author" CONTENT="Jun Akiyama">
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="Aikido: AikiWeb Aikido Information">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="aikido, ueshiba, morihei, martial art, aiki, aikidoka, ki, jo, bokken, aikiweb, news, videos, dvd, dvds, books, supplies, akido, forums, aikicards, dojo, hakama">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX,FOLLOW">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES" CONTENT="">
<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="TRUE">
<META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="7 days">
All you really need ot worry about in there is this line:

Code:
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="aikido, ueshiba, morihei, martial art, aiki, aikidoka, ki, jo, bokken, aikiweb, news, videos, dvd, dvds, books, supplies, akido, forums, aikicards, dojo, hakama">
Putting that code in your pages may help it get more traffic..you might also want to submit your URL to google.

Last edited by thomas_dixon : 02-11-2005 at 09:27 PM.