View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #108
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: How to be non-competitive in a competitive world

Quote:
Andrew Bedford wrote: View Post
There is no past, there is no future, this is Fact.
This statement is actually false. Your experience of past, present & future is simply a bio-electrical (via chemical processes) occurrence that manifest as cognitive, emotional and sensory experiences. At an existential level, your present is a simultaneous experience of all temporal modalities.

Quote:
You do not compete, by finishing the opponent in the sense he so completely injured, he may have to go to hospital, he does not get maimed, he does not die, he does not lose, so you do not lose.
yes you can do all these things damage injure maim kill disable, but once you do, there is no going back, you cannot undo what has been done, You also cannot easily undo what has happened in You.
Life is not a trial run. Nothing that has occurred can be done again. In a real fight, if you try to think about what you do, you are .5 seconds behind the person doing something. Bad place to be..... You do what you do in that moment and hopefully you might later have the luxury of joy, regret, sadness, etc..

Quote:
So make it as peaceful an encounter, peaceful I think is the wrong word, Kinder is more to where I`m going, but you can have full domination of the situation, but not the opponent.

Thus no competing: look what your about to do to me with that big knofe how dare you attack me in such a way. BANG trapped in competition, and if you have the skill will probably utterly destroy the opponent. There is Another way. Non-competing.

you preserve life. not go onto to commit to death, death of spirit that is you. You the peace under which all situations/moments Occur

Andy B
All of that sounds good but rarely seems to translated into effective actions. I would suggest instead that if you can remain as calm and in control of your experiences as possible in a horrible moment, the greater likelihood of you being more effective in that moment- (eye-of-the-hurricane analogy). What you described was a function of a person thinking about the situation, placing him/herself 0.5 seconds behind potential actions. It is not the competing mind that gets the person hurt, but the person who tries to think before acting. That is a neurological/ neuropsychological reality that we cannot escape from.

Marc Abrams