Thread: Aikijujutsu
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #43
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Aikijujutsu

Here's where I am going to take some issue regarding the "need" for IS to be simplified and made piecemeal for folks to pick and choose what parts they will incorporate. (Kevin - you may not be saying that, but it seems to be a theme that keeps coming up) In some cases, certain facets of teaching can be adapted and optimized as has been shown in the evolution of sport martial arts. Other things, though, at least in the transmission maturity models that are available, do require a bit of the seeker adapting themselves to the training.

On one hand, I agree that from a utilitarian perspective, pursuing whole-banana 6 harmony martial art may not make sense for the person seeking fastest speed to market usable skills matrix - especially the seeker that's going to choose something of a grab-bag approach to training. There's too much investment of time regarding training correctly in something of a "faith-based" (god, I hate that approach) approach. The problem in that model is that you are utterly at the mercy of the person showing you the goods in that 1) they have the goods 2) are showing you the path to get the goods 3) you have the requisite talent, curiosity and dedication to acquire the goods through your own efforts after exposure to 1&2. (a bit of a damper in the notion that "everyone can do it", sorry)

That model is a hard sell because we are enough of a skeptical breed now with limited attention spans that have been told over and over that we are entitled to anything we want if we show up. The notion that no matter how hard you try you might fail is not something very marketable in martial arts land. The idea that you are completely responsible for your own progress once you've been shown some basic things - is also a hard sell for those that want to role-play, belong to a club, get constant reinforcement and attention rather than push themselves to do the work.

I liked the basic jin/aiki videos that Cady listed because I looked at them in context. It's showing how different applications of strength can create different effects when two people are physically connected. If you can't see how it's a different kind of strength, but are still curious, then you ought to go feel it. If you write it off as not useful, then fine, go about your way of training and good luck to you. Either way, get the information and process it, rather than assuming you have all the information already. Sheesh...