View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 03:29 AM   #102
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Alberto.
Yes, the principle of MA-AI as you see needs to be in play all the time but remember I said that was an example which leads to no fight, add a few more principles and how they apply and you start getting somewhere.

Let's take tegatana for example. How to use it properly, something you can't do whilst wearing boxing gloves and something hardly allowed in any fights or sports I've watched. Just like the 'mallet' fist brought down on the top of the head is barred from boxing.

Tegatana is the hand sword. Of itself it is quite fleshy yet it is very powerful when understood. It is called the hand sword for a reason and that would be the same original reason in Karate. You use it as you would a sword.

Now when a boxer strikes, and because his striking art is more like a coiled spring action the attempting to do any kind of 'grab' would be very inadvisable. However cutting would be perfect.

Sometimes people ask me why there is not much or any kicking in Aikido and I tell them they will understand when they see the relationship of some of Aikido to the way of the Samurai. A samurai is waiting for a nice juicy extended limb to cut off.

Now when a boxer strikes a natural reaction for many is to try and block the punch. Imagine turning that block or parry into a cut. When used to it it's quite easy for he is giving you something to cut. Of course that is simplifying it but when a person is competant enough it is natural and unexpected by the boxer.

So the rule of thumb here is the practice of cutting and turning or turning and cutting.

Now staight jab or a right cross or hook usually makes a person 'parry' from the inside so to speak and thus leads them into the other hand, unless done as a cut complete with continuous motion.

Anyway, if you get used to entering outside the strike and cutting you move into a different zone of operation. I'll explain.

Right cross coming at you.

Now first remember what I said about tegatana, the hand sword. Imagine drawing a sword with your right hand because the sword is naturally hanging from the left hip. Now do that drawing motion with an open hand using tegatana as the blade.

Now when you can naturally move to that 'dead' side of the strike and at the same time cut like your drawing the sword I think you'll see it opens the door to more Aikido.

Aikido I teach is non-stop motion, there is no stopping there is only a continuous flow so its not a matter of step and cut it's a matter of doing that on the way to joining the opponent which leads more to irminage type actions and kokyu variations.

Just my 2 yen.

Regards.G.