Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #23
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Quote:
Toby Threadgill wrote: View Post
Hi Rennis,

I'm likewise unimpressed with Kono due to experiences outside that video. Despite his cooperation with Kuroda, he is no Kuroda. Kono's a reconstructor and I think that's what led Kuroda to end his association with him. In short, Kuroda's into budo, Kono's "into" Kono....

On high level technique......

I have felt high level technique from many, most obviously Takamura sensei but this also includes several top notch Daito ryu shihan, aikido shihan. Don Angier, Ushiro Kenji, Tetsuzan Kuroda, Mikhail Ryabko, Vladimir Vasiliev etc...

Is it all the same? No. Each manifest their advanced application of waza in different in way. Kuroda takes your center immediately with a very soft touch. It's like an encounter with a ghost and unlike what I've felt from anyone in Daito ryu. I'm not saying its necessarily better, but it is distinctly different. Laying hands on Ushiro Kenji feels like grabbing a gorilla. ( Okay you got him, what are you going to do with him?) All the others are great, each in their unique way. My point is that people often become fixated on what "they" consider high level. If you like X-ryu okuden-aiki-myoden-voodoo, good for you, go do it. However, don't dismiss everything else thats different out of hand. Keep an open mind and realize you'll never learn it all. Myopic evaluation of others is intellectual failure and the stuff of defeat.

Toby
Amen!!! You mean to say there is more than one "advanced" method of Aiki??? LOL

NOW we're getting somewhere.

I sure wish we could have another "Aiki" Expo. I have "felt" more than one "Aiki Expression" myself and those Expos had allot to do with that.

I sure hope to meet you again someday Sensei Threadgill.

William Hazen