Thread: Ukemi 101
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2001, 10:06 PM   #9
Dennis Good
United_States
Wink

Hi all
Ive been reading these posts for some time now, but this is my first post. The best way I have learned to teach people how to roll is to start them with one knee up and one knee down (ie. right handed person, right knee up). Have them place thier hand on the mat, palm down, directly in front of the foot of the knee that is up. Have them tuck their head and extend the left leg. Explain to them that they must keep thier arm from colapsing as they roll, and that they should feel the mat against their back crossing from the right shoulder to the left hip. As they roll, have them stay down at first and not pop back up until they get used to the roll. Use as many ways as you can to get this accross to them. Some people learn better by hearing it, seeing it, or just feeling you draw a line accross their back from shoulder to hip with your hand. I hope this helps. Ive only had one person that I couldnt get to roll and she would drive her shoulder into the mat every time. Still hurts to think about.

Good luck