View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 12:51 AM   #11
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: short intro/ Akido pillers?

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Hallo. The pillars of Aikido are shihonage, kaitennage, Iriminage, Kotegaeshi, kokyunage, Ikkyo, plus others
Depends on what is meant by pillars. This is certaily a list of techniques which are relevant to the study of aikido bases.

As others have listed - in the group that I'm with these bases are;

Kamai, mahai, shisei, kokyu, irimi, tenkan, atemi, kokyuho-rokyuho, omote,ura.

I feel these embody one point, kuzushu which many mention on these fora (thanks).

There are also may other 'pillars' that vary from group to group as Jim has stated.

eg. Some may work on the basis of never initiate conflict, others on the basis of if theres going to be trouble start it and finish it early.

Perhaps these are umbrella'd beneath zanshin?

One huge pillar for me is to look at 'Do' as Dao. To me this is still 'The Way' but specifically 'The way of harmony according to the Tao' eg. ying and yang in all things...also nothing is ever completely black and white.

A more personal pillar that I have found useful is when I see a new instructor with something good to offer - I try to ADD it to what I know already. Many REPLACE their previous learning.

This brings to mind an old english saying about "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

I'll leave that for you to work out..is it relevent or Aiki gibberish?

Cheers

D