View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 10:06 PM   #31
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Steven Seagal's sword work

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
Actually, the original story was that Donn Dreager was hired to be the technical advisor for the movie. Seagal Sensei somehow met the director and was invited to praticipate as well. Dreager Sensei, who did have certification in the Katori Shinto Ryu (as well as in Jodo) had a discussion with him about his qualifications to advise on "kenjutsu" since he wasn't a student of any kenjutsu school. Seagal replied that he was a student of Tanka Bansen (very senior O-Sensei student with a dojo in Osaka). Dreager Sensei politely pointed out that this was all well and good but that Tanaka Bansen was not a student of kenjutsu either. Dreager Sensei knew pretty much everybody who was anybody in Japanese martial arts and certainly knew every foriegner training in classical arts in Japan.

There is some more to the story but I'm not going into it here. I can't remeber whether Dreager Sensei's name appeared on the final credits or whether he bailed on the project. Maybe someone who has an original copy could check on it.
Ledyard Sensei,

With all due respect, is this something that was related to you directly by Donn Dreager?

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.