View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #1473
Alberto_Italiano
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Alberto:

I respectfully disagree with your position (one that you, yourself do not wholly agree with). How YOU train in Aikido will directly translate to how effective YOUR Aikido is in a "real situation." My Aikido has yet to fail me and I simply seem to be getting better. I have in my dojo (now and in the past) boxers, karateka, bjj, etc. and I do not seem to have a problem using MY Aikido to stop their attacks.

If a person practices their martial art as simply a stylized vision of that art, then the style frequently fails when "reality" diverges from those stylized movements. If a person practices so that the stylized movements are adaptable templates, then the outcome is very, very different.

Bottom line, regardless of the art, it is how the person practices and applies the art that matters more than the art itself.

Regards,

Marc Abrams
that's what I said in my previous post (same page): if you want to focus on martial goals, you have to train martially.
If you do, aikido may work.

I mentioned the thunderstorm exactly because in a thunderstorm stylized approaches fail utterly.
You may train all you want, but if you training never reproduces a determined attack, once facing one your aikido will fail.

Then, the sweater that Mary rightly produced as an allegory, is no longer this thread: that sweater, is Aikido.

If you want it to work, you have to fight with it a long time, because the nature of aikido is that of being ineffective. The amount of efforts that you need to put in it in order to make it be usable, is more than doubled.
You wear it, you remove it, you hate it, you try to fix it and you eventually realize it is hopeless. You take it back, you quit it again - hopeless.
Aikido is flawed, is inherently broken. It is all in the way you train that you may make something out of it.

And to be sure, the worst aikidoka of all was (aside me), of course, Ueshiba. He knew aikido, and yet he did nothing to teach it martially. When we see his pupils training, we often see them training exactly in that utterly fictional manner that yields an utterly unusable aikido that then generates this type of thread, that exists only in aikido forums for no other martial art raises so insistently this type of issue.

Bottom rock: we agree, actually. Not that the other way round would have worried us, of course.