View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #34
Walter Martindale
Canada
Re: "Conventional Muscles" and Internal Power

At least a few people have said that if you can't explain something so that a child can understand what you're explaining, you don't understand it yourself well enough (it's attributed to Einstein, but I haven't confirmed that).

I don't doubt that something's going on. I've been bashed to the ground by Kawahara (late 8th dan shihan) and not known what happened, didn't feel any tension. Been put to the ground by a sensei in the Hiroshima police dojo, by Takase sensei in New Zealand, Masuda sensei from Aikikai Hombu (but in New Zealand) without feeling any muscular tension. Grabbing the late Tohei (from Chicago) sensei felt like grabbing smoke. I'm struggling with the name of the shihan in Nagoya who visits NZ frequently, but he's also biffed me around while it felt like I was holding a banana in a gi sleeve.

But what were they doing? What do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhinoceros? (elephino)
Can I do what they were doing? I don't know. Can I explain it? Not a chance. I haven't (to date) read an explanation of any of the IS info that makes sense to me. Just "IHTBF"... and "Do a seminar with Dan Harden" (love to but currently not in a position to do that)... and similar "explanations."

Walter