View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #56
DH
United_States
Re: Aikido: Discussions of power

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Since the "Eight Powers of the Kototama" has been brought up, let me just throw this out there. The most prevalent reference to "Eight Powers' as it relates to Kototama can be found in the Dobun - here is a link to it on the aikidogaq site:

http://www.aikidofaq.com/dobun.html

This appears to be just another translated interpretation via a filtered perspective based on one's opinion of what Ueshiba was saying and writing. In order to find a more objective viewpoint of the Kototama, I went to Masahilo Nakazono's book Inochi; which goes into the Kototama in much detail. In the book there is no reference to ‘Eight Powers' as explained in the Dobun, but there is reference to the four mother sounds of U, A, O, E and the eight father sounds/rhythms of T,K,M,H,L,N,Y,S, which when combined create the child sounds.

Interesting enough though, there is reference in the Dobun and Inochi that support Dan's statement of:

"Ueshiba again:
<念>にもとづき『気の妙用』をはかるには、まず五体の左は武の基礎、右は宇宙の受ける気結びの現われる土台であると心得よ。この左・右の気結びがおのずから 成就すれば、 あとの動きは自由自在となる。
"In order to achieve the mysterious workings of ki based upon intent, first realize the appearance of the foundation that is the ki connection (ki musubi) between the left side of the physical body grounded in the martial and the right that receives the universe. If you can achieve this connection between the left and the right then you will be able to move with complete freedom."

In Inochi, Nakazona states that ‘U' is the chaotic beginning and ‘A' is the light of life; ‘WA' is phenomena lit up by the light of ‘A' , and each dimension is an independent manifestation. He also goes on to explain that ‘A' represents the a priori and ‘WA' the posteriori human capacity, which is connected via the ‘I-WI' life force dimension, which is KI. In looking at Dan's statement above, you see that the point being made is that one part of the body is connected to "A" and the other ‘WA' - or the spiritual and physical with the connection enabled by Ki - or the in-yo of the human existence.

Greg
Hi Greg
It is not my statement.

Ueshiba:
「一霊四魂三元八力や呼吸、合気の理解なくして合気道を稽古しても合気道の本当の力は出てこないだろう。」
"I think that if you cannot understand Ichirei Shikon Sangen Hachiriki, breath (kokyu) and Aiki, then even if you practice Aikido the true power of Aikido will not come forth."
Chris states that Ueshiba described the "Hachiriki" as physical forces
Active force, quiet force, Pulling force, loosening force, splitting force, combining force, melting force, congealing force

Taiji has: Peng, Lu, Ji, An, Cai, Lie, Zhou and Kao.

It was typical for Asian models to align the physical with the cosmos. It was the way it was done. Not knowing how they merge and diverge and what they meant is...why most "teachers".....teach what we now see.. as the way of aiki.

And that said, from my understanding there is quite a divergence on the understanding of the Kotodama and translations even within Japan in the native tongue, much more so on foreign translations. Peter has written about the "party line" and other versions depending on who you study with in his excellent Transmission and Inheritance blogs. I am left unmoved, as to its relevance in aiki. Again, going back to the physical manifestations, all I see is the deplorable state of affairs of those claiming an understanding, that has had any meaningful, physical results. As we have seen recently, it is usually nothing more than lip service as people float about and you can basically destroy them with little effort. As Kisshomaru noted-
Quote:
O sensei's legendary feats were intended not only to demonstrate or show off what he could do, but to create and opportunity for the introduction of a true martial art.
O sensei would have been appalled by the actions of what Meik Skoss termed "aiki-bunnies" he knew right well what power was and how to wield it to validate the art.

Dan

Last edited by DH : 09-22-2011 at 01:17 PM.