Thread: Vantage points
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #249
Mert Gambito
Re: Vantage points

Quote:
Mert Gambito wrote:
. . .Gary and David . . .
Sorry folks: should've typed "Gary and Patrick" above, re: the clarifications provided to Chris H. pertaining to the simplified definition of dual opposing spirals.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
I can understand if I made an incorrect statement. I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth.
Fair enough, Chris. I realize that a lot of information gets packed into these threads, and in individual posts sometimes, time is limited to review and process the information, and key details can get blurred or missed along the way (my correction above in this post being a case in point).

OK, first off, the details re: IP/IS training over which people are being nit-picky above truly do matter that much. If the interpretations, and with it the understandings of a pair of standalone statements of fact can change as much as they did earlier in this thread -- in just one iteration/layer of communication online -- then it's clear it makes no sense to delve any deeper through this or any other written medium regarding anything more technical or detailed (e.g. step-by-step how-to's) because of the virtual certainty of leading one's self and others astray. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that unknowingly leading one's self astray when new to a given subject matter is a natural, inevitable part of the learning process -- even when there's capable face-to-face instruction available: whether that instruction is in IP/IS, Aikido kokyu-dosa, ballroom dance, chiropractic medicine, or any other endeavor that requires intensive yet subtle mental and physical self development required to create profound physical and mental interactions with another human being (any IP/IS practitioner who isn't nodding is for sure full of it).

Quote:
I'm just asking for a simple place to start. I'll look at the material you've provided.
Thank you for taking the time to earnestly and carefully consider these recommendations.

When you get a copy of Anatomy Trains, pay attention to the pages toward the back of the book that map the meridians of the body utilized in traditional Asian medicine (TAM) to their corresponding anatomy trains. ILC utilizes the TAM meridians, including the traditional grouping of the meridians into "yin" and "yang" categories, to describe which parts of the body are utilized in which particular manners during a given exercise/drill. (Note: references to the meridians, while fundamental to the theory and practice in ILC, are not utilized in all IP/IS training methodologies, including Dan's. Those of us who've been formally exposed to both methodologies by Sam and Dan can reconcile this, but it makes no sense to slice and dice the reasons why via the internet for the reason stated above.)

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote:
You would have an opportunity to feel what is being talked about from the I Liq Chuan perspective, which dovetails into the areas that the IP/IS folks talk to on here . . .
To further clarify and recap, reviewing Anatomy Trains and attending an ILC seminar with Sam makes sense for those with a technical western bent because there's a logical progression from:
  • conventional martial movement that can be described in terms of the long-standing traditional western anatomical and physiological model (i.e. muscles, bones, etc. as separate entities performing their respective work functions within the body) to . . .
  • anatomy trains (i.e. groupings of integrated motivating and connecting tissues that span, interconnect and motivate large portions of the body from head to toe) . . .
  • which can be mapped to the meridians that provide a roadmap to the body in traditional Asian medicine, via a publicly available reference (i.e. Anatomy Trains) . . .
  • which are a key part of the nomeclature utilized in ILC: a proven method for achieving IP/IS (note that Sam Chin will discuss "yin muscle" vs. "yang muscle", but he refers to these in terms of portions of the body [i.e. meridians or groups of meridians], vs. as discreet muscles or groupings of muscles in the western sense) . . .
  • the results of which can be experienced first hand during the seminar to clarify how the practice translates into power out, negation of power in, and other nuances of application.
Straightforward. Logical. Accessible. Proven. (= S.L.A.P. ) -- and therefore, returning to the original thrust of this thread: absolutely worth the investment in time and money.

Mert